Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Introducing the 64 Crayons

My Kinders love getting their 4 weekly crayons.  It's a BIG deal!  They always ask me their names & then we make "color tornadoes," referencing their names over and over.

They all giggle when I ask them to get out macaroni and cheese - because they know it's my favorite!  Do you notice the children using & LOVING the 64 Crayola crayon color names?  That is the #1 question & it's so fun to see their excitement - it's contagious!

The second question I get after introducing the color names is, "Where does it go?"  So we discuss their thoughts - is it in the yellow, green, orange, purple, etc. family?  My Kinders enjoy sorting & it shows up as such an overarching theme in all content areas, so we practice and reinforce it weekly in our drawing lessons, by sorting the crayons.

Wendy recently gave me some new warm-up papers that show various pencil shading techniques and has space for coloring & handwriting.  The color pages align with how Wendy introduces the 64 crayons each week too!  I am going to staple these warm-up pages together and make color books - and the students will take them home, once all 64 crayons have been introduced.

In case you are interested in the warm-up pages they're a free PDF download below:

64 Color Range smaller.pdf


Hope this helps you introduce and engage with your students as you use the 64 Crayola crayons.

Happy Drawing & Writing,

1 comment: